Free Forum
To access all the features provided by this forum, please log in or register an account.

Armored Core/Chrome Hounds-esque RP

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Armored Core/Chrome Hounds-esque RP

Post by Bloodtrailkiller on Sun 06 Apr 2014, 2:44 am

I know I don't hear many of you talk about mechs and such; but considering the last big collaboration to make a big bad[figuratively] new RP flopped, no offense to the collaborators, I was wondering if you guys would be interested in the pursuits of Mechas.
Why? Because they're Sci-Fi and something we HAVEN'T done. 
Plus, if we want, it could be a Low-Scifi what with how Chrome Hounds is set in an alternate history of the Cold War. 
I couldn't find a really sexy trailer for Chromehounds, I guess they didn't put too much in advertising, but Chromehounds is a bit more realistic in style over AC in the way they don't have arms and heads and such; more utilitarian designs that show obvious focus on different roles.
Not to say AC wouldn't fit, but I think this community prefers a bit more grounded experience. 

This genre also allows us to explore a very large range of scenarios. From PVP wars, to mercenary bands, to apocalyptic themes such as Ergo Proxy (to an extent) or even monster hunting like in Pacific Rim
So, what do you guys think? You up for collaborating with me on a possible RP idea?
Bloodtrailkiller
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Back to top Go down

Re: Armored Core/Chrome Hounds-esque RP

Post by Guest on Sun 06 Apr 2014, 10:59 am

What about Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor?

"Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor takes place in 2082 in a world lacking computers due to a silicon-eating microbe that started destroying all microprocessors in the world in 2020. It opens with the United States military running an amphibious landing operation on an occupied New York using massive bipedal robots known as Vertical Tanks as the primary attack force.The troops with the help of the VT's were able to take New York and establish a foothold on the Mainland. "

We could do a spin off on this in a sci-fi scenario. A colony gets set up on a planet. But a microbe starts spreading and they get stranded there. The colony then deevolves to vacuum tubes and stuff.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wehrmacht Cat on Sun 06 Apr 2014, 11:12 am

butbutbut chromehounds ;_;
Wehrmacht Cat
Forumer
Forumer

Back to top Go down

Post by Bloodtrailkiller on Sun 06 Apr 2014, 8:57 pm

We can use Chromehounds elements in the way of customization...
Chromehounds and Steel Battalion are rather similar in style, imho

I think that'd be rather interesting; mayhaps there were already some mechanized walkers that used silicon for their advanced processors and there'd be husks out in the more deserted areas.

I hate to be shoving my planets into everything, but I imagined this happening on a planet with the style and look of Nu Hildr.
ie; Covered in snow, ice below, with black granite outcroppings. There'd be these sort of mechahulks just collapsed into the ground, maybe some of the larger mecha's would have entire cities or villages built around and within them, sort of like Megaton from FO3 had a settlement built around a dud bomb..

Vacuum tubes...
Can you elaborate?
Bloodtrailkiller
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Acceleradiant on Sun 06 Apr 2014, 9:15 pm

Toss some MechWarrior Lone Wolf in there, maybe?

Sounds fun.
Acceleradiant

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyundi on Mon 07 Apr 2014, 8:58 am

TitanSeraph'll like this
Kyundi
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 07 Apr 2014, 5:25 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_tube

Vacuum tubes are what they used before modern microprocessors.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bloodtrailkiller on Tue 08 Apr 2014, 9:29 pm

Cool.

So, perhaps the RP would focus around a group of monster hunters? or maybe tech hunters going out in the world to try and find some last bits of computing technology.
Bloodtrailkiller
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Keval on Tue 08 Apr 2014, 9:34 pm

Why not both?
Keval
Lurker
Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Bloodtrailkiller on Tue 08 Apr 2014, 9:59 pm

Yisss
Start off as a Monster Hunting band? Perhaps a group of mecha pilots signing up for a hunt?

We should try and think about how the devolution of things occurred. It could be purely through the violence of the populace.

ifwegodownmyrouteofplanetsitcouldbeabiteasiertocreate
Bloodtrailkiller
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Keval on Wed 09 Apr 2014, 6:21 pm

I don't see anybody protesting, so we might as well.
Keval
Lurker
Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Acceleradiant on Thu 10 Apr 2014, 6:54 am

The question is, what kind of tech are we looking at?
Acceleradiant

Back to top Go down

Post by Bloodtrailkiller on Thu 10 Apr 2014, 8:07 am

Not very impressive or large.
I'm imagining late WW2
Bloodtrailkiller
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Acceleradiant on Fri 11 Apr 2014, 6:48 am

I think I have a concept of what to expect now, considering I read this book. Except that book takes place in WWI, so...
Acceleradiant

Back to top Go down

Post by Keval on Tue 15 Apr 2014, 8:06 pm

Bump?
Keval
Lurker
Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Bloodtrailkiller on Wed 16 Apr 2014, 7:38 pm

Apologies; see my recent lounge thread for my excuse.

Anyhow, I wish to run a few concepts by you guys, to make sure we all have the same grasp of technology.

Races. We said this was going to be sci-fi, yes? And on another planet?
But we never solidified what planet[I still propose my own]
And what races are available.

I offer the DtHaba universe; with a very blurred background end-phase lore, as comms are probably not the best at going through space with just vacuum tubes, they won't have good bearings of the outside space.
The rest of the universe could maybe be fighting off a larger scale of the virus; maybe something along the lines of the Infestation from Warframe or the Flood from Halo.

Nu Hildr/last planet my folks were on, is, in my opinion, perfect for this situation as they're a small and rather universally 'meh'd race that was open to many races. In fact, I [slightly] remember saying something along the lines of 'The Council races are prominent, but there are other races' in my planet. Thus saying; you could include a large multitude of small populations that were part of the emergency evacuation.

Plus, not to boast, but Hildaric origin exosuits were solely reliant upon basic engineering and the strength of Hildarians.
Bloodtrailkiller
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Keval on Fri 18 Apr 2014, 8:26 pm

I find it hard to argue with anything you just proposed.

Actually sounds like a really cool, dark, grim setting, though I do have to ask, would the virus/parasite be present on the planet where the RP is set?
Keval
Lurker
Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Bloodtrailkiller on Sun 20 Apr 2014, 9:02 pm

It will be very unnoticeable. But it's presence will be prominent through recordings of idle cameras or HuD-Cams that survived the parasite that ate all dat silicon

And, like I said, the parasite that disabled all the tech is simply a strand of the overall flood-esque one.

We'll have to see how the RP progresses to see if this infection of sorts is brought in; probably via sequel.
But, that's wishful thinking.

Anyone have anything else to throw in before We set to work on giving some meat to these bones?
Bloodtrailkiller
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Keval on Mon 21 Apr 2014, 8:07 pm

Alrighty.
Keval
Lurker
Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 25 Apr 2014, 10:08 pm

This idea has attracted me from hiding under a rock. I must give input.

Given I used to play chromehounds, I can say this.
Going with the vacuum tubes isn't the only way to reduce the tech.
Include resister circuits, hydraulic pumps/pressure, switch boards and faulty wires.
It'd be a complicated mess for a pilot to operate, but it would work. No joysticks, just levers!
Important thing to remember is the hounds were normally deployed in squads of 4-6.
Each normally holding a dedicated role. (I normally ran artillery or command)

If the parasites as mentioned though are a threat to other places, what I imagine is something likely more on par with Tyranids or Zerg than the Flood.
The "Parasites" developing specific morphs to deal with situations, which led to a number of "Bio-Titans".
Creatures designed specifically to rip the landscape (and any defenses) to shreds to gather the biomass needed to fuel the rest.

...I shall be watching and waiting.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wehrmacht Cat on Fri 25 Apr 2014, 10:43 pm

dem 'hounds

I remember once, I managed to take down some heavily-armored sniper hound using only a machinegun and circling him, since both of my rockets were down

I had an odd obsession with designing 'hounds that had minimal armament
Wehrmacht Cat
Forumer
Forumer

Back to top Go down

Post by Bloodtrailkiller on Sat 26 Apr 2014, 2:01 am

I used heavy damage and mobile snipers. Often times dipping into direct artillery.
Though I worked as a lone wolf and messed up a lot of people's days... I only lost my hound once and that was because of a 1v4[+two heavily wounded] hounds, so I still count it as a glorious victory.
I also used those spikes no one else used... fucking glorious ramming speed.

I do so love Slip's idea. It runs perfect with what I had in mind, thank you for articulating it so perfectly.

So, do any of you want to start working on a city or maybe important places and general equipment to use?
Bloodtrailkiller
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 27 Apr 2014, 1:25 pm

Hound wise I ran 3 units, built with minimal parts.
Artillery: ran a tracked base, cockpit, generator and 2 double artillery guns.
Assault: Ran a tracked base, cockpit, generator and 6 cannons. proved remarkably hard to actually destroy. (A variant ran with 3 rocket arrays)
Commander: Reverse legs, Cockpit, generator, radar unit, 3 rifles, 2 rockets.

City wise I would imagine a large part of the former industry would have been shut down with the loss of microprocessors.
Salvaging and Refurbishing equipment would be a major part of the industry.
the most important thing to consider is that any high tech power plants would have gone dead.
This means they would be forced to setup older "Crude" generators to get power back online.

Overall most of the equipment you would see would be robust and reliable.
things that are either nigh unbreakable or have fewer moving parts.
Rifles and such would largely be unaffected, really anything that didn't have computer targeting.
You'd also see a fairly heavy fortification built around the core section of the city.
The outer parts of the city would have a more "rush built" fortification, while the inner would be carefully constructed.

Layout wise, if the city is prone to attacks, the only things you would find in the "Outer" section would be "replaceable" structures. (Like housing)
The inner section would hold any structures that couldn't be easily replaced along with holding anything essential to the city (Like generators)
anything outside the cities walls would be things that are either "Expendable" or flat out disposable. (like shacks)
This of course, is assuming that cities keep coming under assaults.
Otherwise cities would have been built based around the basic "settlement" infrastructure, which may have been replaced at this point.
Some "Work" sites are likely to exist outside the cities as well, where manufacturing could be setup close to the needed resources.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sieg on Sun 27 Apr 2014, 2:58 pm

I have never played Chromehounds, but I love mechs. (Seriously like half the Lupean armoured division is literally just mechanical walkers and a lot of the other half is people in psuedo-mechanical-walkers.)

Don't forget that without microprocessors farming would regress a lot, because we wouldn't have a lot of the new complicated machinery that helps farmers conduct large-scale farming of crops, as it eliminates a lot of the newer greenhouse technology, etc, so people would become very reliant on older farming methods. (Not that much older, but not modern, enough that farming would have to become a much bigger thing in order to continue to sustain the number of people alive.)

You might also have a lot of "Dead Zones" around former Nuclear Power Plants. If microprocessors and the like are dead, a lot of the safety mechanisms in Nuke Plants are dead too. That poses a problem if the plant was relying on the kind of safety mechanisms that automatically react to activity in the reactor core. Obviously not every Nuke Plant would melt down, but there'd be a fair few, probably newer ones rather than older ones actually.
Sieg
Lurker
Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Bloodtrailkiller on Sun 27 Apr 2014, 4:46 pm

The main thing that Hildaric folk, of the space era, had was brute strength and reliance upon the basic techs. So the amount of things wholly reliant on microprocessors would be rather minimal.

In the effect of food, farming was very small; the Hildarians rose with the assistance of monster hunters, and their basic culture revolved around hunting in general. As well as tradition. 
So I imagine farming set backs would not be ultimately degrading...

The thing with Nu Hildr is that it was the beginnings of a revival of a destroyed nation. Hildr was annihilated along with a large portion of their faction due to a martyrdom involving the sun. So hard developments that you would see in a fully civilized place on another planet (Power plants, dams, fortresses, etc.) would simply not be developed on Nu Hildr.
The main thing that they used for power were the massive settlement ships that landed and became hosts for settlements. 

With that in mind, spaceship generators were not fully lore-ified in the initial RP; as such, there's not much in the way of referencing to what the power supply was.

None the less, Hildarians were very slow in coming to the forefront of technology. So it would be safe to say they still relied on the older, slower, but more reliable methods of power and safety.

A lot of their industry involved hands-on approaches, though technology did help. In the case of weaponry, it would be quite the setback.
Most of the weapons Hildarians used were energy based. AAL's; basically hypercharged lasers. 

However, the Hildarians still used a lot of ballistic based weaponry; and they would have simply brought up older designs.

Hildarians were also an influx of many races; meaning a lot of adaptability due to various technologies using various means. But it also means a lot of disunion. So some races would be keeping techs to themselves.

I suppose a few key things to keep in mind when developing cities or weapons, if we still want to use Nu Hildr, is that...
1.) They were already rather back in technology. A good and bad thing.
2.) A large amount of their culture revolves around traditional means, ie; Hunting, Fighting, Honor, etc.
3.) An equally large amount of races are in this one category of Hildarians. Again, a good and bad thing.
4.) Key things that they had in uniqueness to their nation were: Their reliability of machinery, some of the first walkers, and heavy armor.
Bloodtrailkiller
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top