Free Forum
To access all the features provided by this forum, please log in or register an account.

Superheros

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Superheros

Post by Nyarlathotep on Sat 25 Jan 2014, 8:43 pm

So I hear that you guys want something that's neither fantasy nor sci-fi, and also something that a lot of people can participate in. I present to you: superheroes. It'd be great. If a bunch of people had a bunch of characters in a more-or-less sandbox superhero RP then there's a thread that anybody can just join at any time without spending two months of making a giant solar system. It'll be great, but should it be dark anti-hero based or should it be like golden age good vs evil?
Nyarlathotep
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Re: Superheros

Post by Bloodtrailkiller on Sat 25 Jan 2014, 8:47 pm

Golden age.
There's too much of that 'LO IT IS THE END OF HEROES AND VILLAINS' stuff...
Bloodtrailkiller
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr One on Sat 25 Jan 2014, 9:15 pm

Is it creepy that I was just about to make the same collab o.e
Mr One

Back to top Go down

Post by Nyarlathotep on Sat 25 Jan 2014, 9:43 pm

Nah that's a good thing it means we're both interested! So golden age of superheroes. Sounds good! How detailed should we make the setting?
Nyarlathotep
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr One on Sun 26 Jan 2014, 9:06 am

DETAILED! When and where is it set. Future past present?
Mr One

Back to top Go down

Post by Bloodtrailkiller on Sun 26 Jan 2014, 1:42 pm

I want to say past, like in WW2 or maybe even the Napoleonic or Civil War eras. Most Superhero RP's are done in modern or future times; I think it'd be fun to have a bit more different and probably darker RP by playing in the past.
Bloodtrailkiller
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Nyarlathotep on Sun 26 Jan 2014, 2:04 pm

That could work but my main concern would be accessibility, since House mentioned that the goal was big RPs that everybody could just quickly join. Modern era is more accessible to everybody. If it were in the past, however, I think cold war era could work pretty well.
Nyarlathotep
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Bloodtrailkiller on Sun 26 Jan 2014, 2:16 pm

WW2 could work just as well since it is primarily a vintage esque era. Many movies depict it such as King Kong, that in itself is a rather popular movie.
I've met very few people who haven't seen an old movie or two. 
If we went into the Cold War era, I myself wouldn't know much about that era; it's one that generally unintrigued me.
Bloodtrailkiller
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr One on Sun 26 Jan 2014, 3:06 pm

How epic would it be to be in the trenches and suddenly giant fireballs are raining down from the sky. Powers for da win. The past certainly sounds intriguing.
Mr One

Back to top Go down

Post by Vero on Mon 27 Jan 2014, 1:17 am

I love the idea of a superhero RP, but a 'past' one would likely get boring fast. Granted, the idea of our modern superheroes was born there (which was in turn born from Ancient Greece). However, World War II era is basically either fighting the Japanese or Germans. World War I is just fighting the central powers. It'll get bland. It sounds like a better game idea then a Role-Playing idea. It also limits creativity because you're stuck in a predefined faction.

I'd go for more of a modern setting in a metropolis because it allows you to branch out dramatically compared to it's presented counterpart. There aren't predefined factions, there aren't repetitive scenes of 'we must stop the enemy otherwise we're going to lose the war', and there certainly isn't a restriction on characters like the past one.
Vero
Board Founder
Board Founder

http://freesource.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Bloodtrailkiller on Mon 27 Jan 2014, 1:30 am

My idea of the WW2 Era one wouldn't be put on the frontlines; more in the cities. Where it would be a bit more tame in the way of powers, with short and intense bouts whenever two paths crossed. Or insanely crazy with some city brawling.
Bloodtrailkiller
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Vero on Mon 27 Jan 2014, 1:41 am

I would vouch for a more modern setting, because people who want to be villains like the Joker and not have any superpowers at all, or heroes like batman, can have a more level playing field based upon technological improvements. You really can't match a superman-esque character with just tommy guns and armored cars.
Vero
Board Founder
Board Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr One on Mon 27 Jan 2014, 11:47 am

Joker FTW Any who I'm easy for either one but modern does allow more.. accessibility I guess. I already have a person in mind.
Mr One

Back to top Go down

Post by Kazran on Mon 27 Jan 2014, 11:53 am

Definitely a modern setting for this. Shoukd we come up with a balancing system for the powers or just leave it open to the imaginatiom? (Pardon the typos this screen is tiny asf)
Kazran
Forumer
Forumer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr One on Mon 27 Jan 2014, 2:41 pm

Creative imagination :3
Mr One

Back to top Go down

Post by Nyarlathotep on Mon 27 Jan 2014, 2:57 pm

True, and I do love tech-oriented superheroes. Alright, so modern then? Big ol' metropolis where superheroics are at their height. As far as power levels go, I think we should set a standard of how powerful is too powerful but still make it free to be creative, because even among superheroes people like Superman are a bit much. Probably just say something like "Marvel-level superpowers" because Marvel's pretty good at making sure nobody's too OP and making it clear that no matter how powerful you are there's always going to be a bigger fish. 

So very important question - should there be an underlying storyline or leave it to the players to make their own subplots based on interaction with each other? Because if there's PC supervillains then they'll probably be making their own schemes which the other players will in turn end up having to thwart.
Nyarlathotep
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Vero on Mon 27 Jan 2014, 3:02 pm

If people can keep up with their creativity and continue developing subplots, then we should go down that path. If people cannot, then we need to have a set plot of heroes and villains.
Vero
Board Founder
Board Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr One on Mon 27 Jan 2014, 5:51 pm

Either one would be fine. I think people would be able to create their own action.
Mr One

Back to top Go down

Post by Nyarlathotep on Mon 27 Jan 2014, 5:53 pm

Alright, I don't think this should take a lot of work to put up the thread for then. How much detail should we put into the setting or should we just let people make things up to suit their character?
Nyarlathotep
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiscLlama on Mon 27 Jan 2014, 6:49 pm

I would imagine that a level of structure to the plotline would need to be developed before completely letting it run free; in the desc of the RP there should be an understanding of the current technological level, how far into the future it is, economic placement/'level' of the city, and how big of a role the superheros play in the crime-stopping of the city.
could also imagine that the police force discourage people becoming superheroes/vigilantes due to maybe corruption within the system.
MiscLlama
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Kazran on Mon 27 Jan 2014, 6:52 pm

Do a bit of both nyarl. That way we have a good amount of base information to build off of but leave wiggle room for PCs to build onto with your approval.
Kazran
Forumer
Forumer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr One on Thu 30 Jan 2014, 2:31 pm

Lee bump
Mr One

Back to top Go down

Post by Nyarlathotep on Thu 30 Jan 2014, 4:04 pm

Alright, so what if we just have some small adventure prepared to get things rolling?
Nyarlathotep
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Keval on Thu 30 Jan 2014, 5:21 pm

It'd probably be easier that way. Have a small plot, kind of like a tutorial or prologue, at the beginning to get the ball rolling. That way there's some history to whatever sub-plots PCs and NPCs make up along the way.
Keval
Lurker
Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr One on Thu 30 Jan 2014, 6:07 pm

Mmm perhaps something that could draw most or all of is together?
Mr One

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top