Free Forum
To access all the features provided by this forum, please log in or register an account.

Yay Sci-Fi

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Yay Sci-Fi

Post by Kazran on Mon 28 Oct 2013, 9:03 pm

Hermit worlds would probably have anti-ship defenses. A fuck ton of anything that would prevent people from landing when they didn't want them to. It's common sense Reil.
Kazran
Forumer
Forumer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 28 Oct 2013, 9:04 pm

And when the rich come?
You know, those guys with better equipment?

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis on Mon 28 Oct 2013, 9:05 pm

Nights, cease nitpicking. Suggest, don't complain. You aren't helping the collab very much since you only seem to be trying to kill the idea instead of offering anything to fix perceived problems.
This is a warning, Nights. Be constructive, not destructive
Travis
Lurker
Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Kazran on Mon 28 Oct 2013, 9:05 pm

Money wouldn't matter if everybody is dying around you due to a biological warfare.
Kazran
Forumer
Forumer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 28 Oct 2013, 9:05 pm

I am stating what is wrong with it, Travis. You were hardly constructive about my work.

Money wouldn't matter, but they equipment they have will. (Discounting military invasion.)

Back to top Go down

Post by Kazran on Mon 28 Oct 2013, 9:08 pm

This is a roleplay and a story and as such some belief has to be suspended in order to make the story work. The equipment while it would matter if they went to war with the hermit world, it wouldn't matter in the long run because it's just as likely that the Rich would have their own hermit world and as such wouldn't need to bother with another one.
Kazran
Forumer
Forumer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 28 Oct 2013, 9:09 pm

We need several factions to overcomplicate things. Corporate factions, alien factions, maybe the humans made advanced AIs to run their ships who eventually decided to revolt. Could be an interesting feature, whenever we wanted to examine a human derelict we'd need a human crewmember to come with us, in case there's a malicious AI who wants to kill all meatbags and humans are the only ones who know the designs of the ship and can safely lead the team through or something.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 28 Oct 2013, 9:09 pm

Why would the rich make sure that it is difficult to reach their source of wealth?

Mate, I can understand you hate me, but let's put this aside for a better plot. This is a collab.

Why do we need the humans dead?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 28 Oct 2013, 9:11 pm

Reil wrote:Why do we need the humans dead?
Because that way it's not about "humans humans humans humans humans".

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis on Mon 28 Oct 2013, 9:12 pm

FAR more constructive than you're being here. I pointed out where you could expand the idea, and flat out said it was an outstanding base to work off of if nothing else presented itself. 

As for dead humans, CoG just flat out hates humans having important roles under reasoning of being tired of human-centric sci fi. To the matter at hand: as I see it, there isn't just a single hermit world, and why would you all spread yourselves thin in your attempt to find a new world to try taking? Who's to say that they don't group up to take a single world instead of risking getting destroyed? Less risk, same reward, technically.
Travis
Lurker
Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 28 Oct 2013, 9:15 pm

The problem is that we are working with over several billion people here. Anything that can be tried will.

I expanded my concept to include other species. I see little effort to compromise on your part.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 28 Oct 2013, 9:16 pm

Reil wrote:The problem is that we are working with over several billion people here. Anything that can be tried will.

I expanded my concept to include other species. I see little effort to compromise on your part.
Your concept included other species being primitives and being treated with racism and discrimination.

It was human-centric.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kazran on Mon 28 Oct 2013, 9:17 pm

No this has nothing to do with hate. This has to do with you making this collab unnecessarily complicated. I'm simply stating the holes in your argument that biological warfare would have eliminated them entirely. They wouldn't. There's always a pocket of humanity that survives. This could be from not being exposed to it or not being effective against them due to their genes giving them a natural immunity to the disease.

That's the reason why we survived the Black Death, and just about every other major pandemic. It's also the same reason why certain diseases survive against antibiotics and the likes.
Kazran
Forumer
Forumer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 28 Oct 2013, 9:19 pm

How would the genes do that with almost everyone dead? We are talking TRILLIONS of genetic variations here. The Black Death was carried by rats due to poor sanitation. We don't have that excuse.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kazran on Mon 28 Oct 2013, 9:23 pm

From what I'm understanding, this particular strain of virus or whatever was designed to be effective at wiping out humans. However, due to the random variation of genetic coding, the small number of people have an immune system that was able to effectively kill the virus.
Kazran
Forumer
Forumer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 28 Oct 2013, 9:24 pm

Then why wouldn't even 1-6 billion have that? Need I remind you how large of a scale we are dealing with here?

Back to top Go down

Post by Kazran on Mon 28 Oct 2013, 9:25 pm

The scale we are dealing with makes 1-6 billion people the 'small' number of people that survive.
Kazran
Forumer
Forumer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 28 Oct 2013, 9:26 pm

CoG, I said the species had 'modern-day' tech. Hardly primitive. The concept dealt with racism, the fall of the aristocracy during the industrial era, inter-family conflict, et cetera.

But then humans would easily be able to rebuild. MANY people go to universities.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 28 Oct 2013, 9:34 pm

Reil wrote:CoG, I said the species had 'modern-day' tech. Hardly primitive. The concept dealt with racism, the fall of the aristocracy during the industrial era, inter-family conflict, et cetera.

But then humans would easily be able to rebuild. MANY people go to universities.
Primitive in comparison to the humans. Basically, the "humans are better than aliens, hurr hurr" concept that has been done to death in fiction.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 28 Oct 2013, 9:35 pm

Only better because humans had more time to develop. (Please note that these are also only the aliens they had yet encountered. At that point, they would have been assimilated  technologically and culturally into the federation.)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 28 Oct 2013, 9:37 pm

I like the idea where humans are not above aliens better.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 28 Oct 2013, 9:37 pm

Knight Cat doesn't like that, though. Isn't his opinion just as valid as yours?

Back to top Go down

Post by Wehrmacht Cat on Mon 28 Oct 2013, 9:38 pm

I dunno about you all, but I'd rather have my humans.

And lots of them.

Human supremacy, fuck yeah.
Wehrmacht Cat
Forumer
Forumer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 28 Oct 2013, 9:43 pm

After taking a moment to think, I bring the following forward.

-For the Bioweapon-
In order for the situation of 100% lethality to be true, requires the dismantling of every single possible response on all levels. A single isolated colony/station/feet debunks the situation by the simple factor they can choose to maintain isolation then to open to the infected. Only by completely breaking the barriers posed by every isolated community (including deep space vessels out for several months to years at a time) can we achieve 100% lethality. How ever, by the very nature of human communities, this also ensures there is still a significantly high lethality rate. this would likely be followed by a power vacuum that would shatter what ever is left of the infrastructure and finalizing the collapse.

The Goal of this isn't to kill off the humans, the goal is to break down a human empire. centering things around the "relics" of this broken shadow that was humanity. Humanity is still in fact alive, but these isolated communities would of lost such to the devastation as to be a simple reflection of former glory. In a sense, Humanity in and of itself is still a present faction, though not as powerful as it once was. It is by the relics of their own past that other races would share such an interest in humanity's survival. In a sense, humanity is in and of itself a "Relic" to be treasured by others.

-For Nights Idea-
It is slightly interesting, yet while it dose show promise, I do follow with a "Concern" sense this seems to be what you prefer. The concern being that by limited the amount of interaction with aliens as you proposed, or indeed placing them into a lower social structure. this could lead to some serious roleplay complications, as members of non-human races could easily find themselves forced into limited options for what they are allowed to do compared to human characters. while this is in no means wrong (as I have played an AI character before with its own complications), but it can prove to have serious complications when developing plot arcs in which said characters would have extremely limited capability to interact.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 28 Oct 2013, 9:45 pm

Reil wrote:Knight Cat doesn't like that, though. Isn't his opinion just as valid as yours?
Yes.

We can reach a compromise. Despite humanity's fracturing, the isolated pockets are still more or less equal to the aliens due to their ability to use old human tech (though they can't produce more of it). They are not, however, major players on the interstellar scene due to their small numbers.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum