Free Forum
To access all the features provided by this forum, please log in or register an account.

Yay Sci-Fi

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Yay Sci-Fi

Post by Guest on Tue 29 Oct 2013, 12:09 am

Reil wrote:The social gap comes from the wealth. You appear to be ignoring everything I've said. This occurred over 100 years prior to the story, and thus needn't be covered in too much detail. If you want it covered, it'll get explained if/when the plot is used. You're explanation of the bio-weapon amounted to a general idea, without ANY idea of the if/when. There WAS social regression, and there was a point where the aristocracy had a chance and took it, boosting their social standing in a successful investment. This allowed them to spend MORE money on acquiring MORE power. How this is hard to understand, I don't know.
   Social tensions arose due to the assimilation of the alien species, as well as the continued existence and now dominance of aristocracy as, essentially, politicians.
I could say the same about the Bio-weapon concept, Where you continue to ignore everything we said, and was insisting on more detail. the thing is, for the social regression you need. you need to dial back to BEFORE the world wars took place, you would have to actually dial back to the 1800's for your argument to remain in place. Which is such a massive gap as to be near alien. Let me make things clear, you are changing your ENTIRE setting to suit a single idea, rather then allowing your idea to be changed. it doesn't mater how much the setting is changed, that doesn't change the fact that the problem is the idea itself. which you have continued ignoring everything I've said about that.

The thing is, The bio-weapon was BACKSTORY to support a concept. Thus could be more fluid to change. How ever, as I've said before, and will say again. the problem is the fact you are just shoving in social and racial discrimination for the CONCEPT. There is a difference there, we were willing to work with you on the bio-weapon, so why is it you are refusing to listen to anything about the social and racial discrimination?

-Edit-
In addition, there is a major difference between changing an entire setting to suit an ideal, and changing background information to suit the setting.
when the problem is the idea, changing the setting doesn't fix the idea.

-Edit2-
You also failed to actually respond to anything in my post that didn't further your own argument. Please respond to the ENTIRE post. not just select snippets.

-Edit3-
Let me clarify, if the Bio-weapon wasn't a feasible for my own concept. Why is the entirety of humanity regressing to industrial era social state, because of the THREAT of biowarefare, feasible?

-Edit4-
Explaining Racial tensions as simply issues with integration between cultures though, makes sense. how ever, this isn't how you were portraying it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 29 Oct 2013, 12:27 am

The setting is the place to host your adventures. Look at your 'great' examples of story in interactive works. They always represent ideals and problems. Dunwall of Dishonored, Rapture of Bioshock. These are effective because they send a message, facilitating for sympathetic characters and pursuits. You want an entirely logical way to describe how such a civilization sprang up? Fine.

During the biological standoff, one of them broke. (I'm keeping them silent due to the uncertainty of the factions.) An airborne variation of Ebola was launched at the Indian regions and began to decimate the population. Naturally, this spread beyond the initial point of deployment. Cases began popping up across the globe. People died, with the virus mutating to become waterborne as well. (Duh.) [Blah blah blah, political intrigue that I can't be bothered writing at the moment.] Eventually, a set of corporations, came about a solution. They formed a cartel, and their outrageous prices eventually caused the governments to simply give in to them. (Of course, covert operations were carried out, but these were unsuccessful.) A meeting was held in Nice, France, and the cartel managed to get signatures of resignation. An oppressed populace was forced to submit for regular vaccinations, and the relatives of the cartel's higher-ups were made into... aristocracy!

I'd like to elaborate on this, but I lost the original file that I had describing the full backstory, so I hope you can accept this for the moment. :c

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 29 Oct 2013, 12:50 am

Taking a moment to clarify my own idea. including working the Bio-weapon in.

-Concept-
Humanity was among the first to walk the stars, among the first races to see the galaxy in its glory. They spread far and wide, developing a number of technologies to assist them. From the ability to prefabricate entire colonies to drop on planets, To a Nanite Printing [Read: 3d printing] entire vehicles. However, humanity was not united. From this slowly grew resentment, no one is sure where. but from somewhere a plague, a bio-weapon is released. The effects were fast and devastating, as FTL communications collapsed and the Bio-weapon spread. In just a few short weeks it had spread from the core worlds to the verge of the outland colonies. Yet, Despite the expectations of the strike to come, it never came. Just as fast as it had begun, the bio-weapon burned out. leaving entire sectors silent. those spared counted among the few that had managed to maintain isolation from the event.

In the wake of this disaster though, other races begun to walk the stars. Finding these relics of the humans hidden among the stars. Remnants of a grand empire now fallen. From here, the isolated colonies kept their secrecy, fearing amongst themselves the power of this bio-weapon. Yet as time passed, the colonies opened themselves slowly, meeting with these strange new races that walk the stars. To some the humans are as sacred as the technology they left behind, to others they are just another race. The result is all the same. Corporations and indeed entire factions have begun to seek out and reclaim as many relics of humanity as they can. However, in this "Gold Rush" for artifacts, law has quickly faded. leaving the Core sectors of the human worlds as a "Lawless zone", to which life and limb is risked in the name of profit.

-Player Roles-
They would likely take the place aboard a Freelance vessel (Or multiple vessels), operating for hire within the "Core Sectors"

-Four Possible Opening Plot hooks-
Where the Bio-weapon came from
The Discovery of a human archive
Blackmarket runs
Mercenary Call

-Unresolved issues (from my view)-
Technological level of Humans/Aliens
The level of "Scarcity" for Humans
The number of "Factions" in the Core Sectors
The Influence "Outer Sector" factions have on the core sector.
The Ratio of "Soft" to "Hard" Sci-fi

-Edit-
As note- most of this is from a quick concept I ran away with, so it is MORE then open for changes.

Edit2-Unfortunately, for now, I must retire from this discussion. Perhaps tomorrow more people will get involved and the others will return.

Last edited by Sliprunner on Tue 29 Oct 2013, 12:53 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 29 Oct 2013, 12:52 am

Sounds pretty stereotypical, though. Where's your ambition?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 29 Oct 2013, 12:53 am

To be honest, Reil, your idea isn't bad.

I would prefer it though if it was less human-centric. It seems that the aliens would be the "lower classes" of this federation, while the humans would still be dominant. I think the aliens should be equal to the humans, at least.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 29 Oct 2013, 12:55 am

First, I must apologize if I seem hostile. I hate having to explain things I have already thought up, and this has been compounded by me losing my backstory sheet.

Now, aliens are about on par with standard humans. There are simply no noble aliens. Alien cultural integration issues lead to conflict between them and other humans semi-often, with racism on both sides.

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis on Tue 29 Oct 2013, 2:12 am

I still prefer the work we've done to flesh out slip's idea, feels more permissive and enjoyable as a whole. His concept simply had more appeal in my eyes, and with what we're doing to put flesh on the skeleton laid out for it, it seems to be coming together well. It just needs a bit more work to expand and finish it up from being bare bones. As for the last page and a half or so though, I find it a bit ridiculous that an argument over ideas occurred on a collab thread, where we're supposed to be looking at more possibilities to appeal to everyone. To me personally, it looks like you're treating it as a thread to advertise your idea and stomp others. 

Slip, I'm sending you a quick summary of the collab that I've sent to Jinx and Mazed for them to have some vague idea of what to expect as of tonight. Look into it to see if you can glean more good info that you may have missed.

As for the unresolved things...
I have two things I can say right now for sure: 

Humans scarcity...um, outside their little corners of the galaxy, rather rare sounds reasonable for the setting, and due to a rather good idea you left out from aumn.

General Sci fi softness: Not quite as so with Andromeda, but SIGNIFICANTLY more soft than what our own group works with is preferable. It also seems to be what the others present on FF (BTK, Keval) seem to want, reading over their comments on page one.
Travis
Lurker
Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 29 Oct 2013, 8:00 pm

How is it any more permissive or/and enjoyable? You've yet to describe this. Knight Cat doesn't want humans to be rare, and you should probably not throw the 'argument' stones, as you yourself participate in the pettiness.
   Your plot is absolutely fine, but it lacks meaning and plausibility, and, all in all, won't provide a very endearing  and memorable setup for the various adventures of the crew.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum