Free Forum
To access all the features provided by this forum, please log in or register an account.

Yay Sci-Fi

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Yay Sci-Fi

Post by Keval on Sun 20 Oct 2013, 1:38 pm

I was thinking we should do a sort of first person spaceship crew type of thing. Like, when we were doing the FTL-type chatbox rp's. Either that or some type of stranded-survival against an infection/parasite on a derelict station or something. Pretty cliche, but I think it'll be cool.
Keval
Lurker
Lurker

Back to top Go down

Re: Yay Sci-Fi

Post by Travis on Sun 20 Oct 2013, 1:50 pm

First one, the crew of a spaceship. That sounds a bit fun. What would the sci fi hardness be? Each level has a type of fun and style of its own that makes them fun.
Travis
Lurker
Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Keval on Sun 20 Oct 2013, 2:17 pm

Eh, idk. Not exactly super hardcore sci-fi. Y'know, realistic, but more simplified so it's easier to follow.
Keval
Lurker
Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis on Sun 20 Oct 2013, 2:36 pm

...Hm, how realistic do you mean though? Artificial gravity existing, FTL existing, etc things still present? "Mysterious new worlds to explore"?
Travis
Lurker
Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Keval on Sun 20 Oct 2013, 2:45 pm

Well, I mean realistic as in just no out-of-this-world type of physics and such. But, yeah, we will still have FTL and artificial gravity and that type of stuff.
Keval
Lurker
Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Bloodtrailkiller on Sun 20 Oct 2013, 3:12 pm

The FTL-ish CRP before was insane with OP-ness and stupidity; we should probably lay down rules so the same doesn't repeat itself. That was part of what made it interesting, but mostly what killed it since it just got out of hand...
It'd be, basically, Soft-Realism. Sort of like what someone's basic knowledge would be on Star Wars.
However, we'd still need people to monitor systems, maintain ventilations, etc. so certain people would need abit more intellect to run those issues by.
Bloodtrailkiller
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Keval on Sun 20 Oct 2013, 3:36 pm

BTK's got the right idea.

So I'm guessing you fine gentlemen would be interested?
Keval
Lurker
Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 20 Oct 2013, 9:43 pm

Sure, I suppose I'd be interested.  Even though I don't RP much at all and I'd probably be pretty bad.

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis on Mon 21 Oct 2013, 6:55 pm

I'm interested for sure, it would probably depend on how it was pulled off though.
Travis
Lurker
Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Keval on Tue 22 Oct 2013, 6:04 pm

So then we have to pull it off right.

Anyway, we should probably make up our own little universe for this, otherwise, it might get a bit boring.
Keval
Lurker
Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis on Wed 23 Oct 2013, 10:18 am

Not too hard, I can try my hand at that if desired features are given to me to work with.
Travis
Lurker
Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Keval on Wed 23 Oct 2013, 6:36 pm

I don't know, basic Sci-Fi elements.

Obviously we need two or more factions engaged in war. Maybe two empires found eachother and were unable to strike a balance on terms, so, boom, war. And we could have an underground crime syndicate.
Keval
Lurker
Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 23 Oct 2013, 6:41 pm

Brought over from That Other Thread at the behest of Keval.

General Concept
   This proposed thread will take place in the year 2342 AD, in which humanity has moved on to colonize hundreds of systems thanks to a long-distance solution renaissance brought on by the invention of the Crawford-Rorschach marker in 2158, a system that, using the power of quantum phase-shifting and quantum entanglement, can safely open a warp-gate between two points within a three system-wide radius from the position of the marker. This innovation, compounded by rampant overpopulation and inflation on Earth, caused the rapid colonization and establishment of planets to become necessary. Seeing potential for lucrative profits from space materials and derelicts, the rapidly fading aristocracy of Earth jumped to commission groups of educated pilots, engineers, and ex-soldiers to work as mercenaries in the stars, providing a ship and crew for the group. These men were soon called "Privateers", after the state sponsored pirates of old. The privateers travel from planet to planet, providing services from those unpleasant such as the intimidating of a suitor, to less-than safe private military work.

Player Roles

The players take command of a group of privateers, starting from receiving commission on Earth. The roleplay will be structured similar to the episodic nature of Star Trek, with a variety of missions and encounters punctuated by moments of downtime aboard the ship.

Last edited by Reil on Wed 23 Oct 2013, 6:42 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added the proper trademark.)

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis on Wed 23 Oct 2013, 7:24 pm

Niiights, staaahp, stahp playing with trademaaarrkks.

Now serious:
I saw your thread, decided against commenting since we have this. As for the idea of yours, its definitely interesting. A solid base to build on for sure, but I was thinking that leaving out aliens would probably be a bad idea...Would have potential to put off some members slightly. I don't want to be stuck with only humans as an option, personally. I was also thinking that there would need to be things along the lines of soft sci fi's stellar anomalies spread sparsely. ...Dammit, lost my train of thought again. >.<

[Edit]
Remembered some of what I had in mind. Things more like shifts of reality mixing dimensions of space(Not sure how to word) and the more...cliche I guess you could call it forms of nebula able to have many effects on a ship (They're still fun to have...).

Last edited by Travis Lear on Wed 23 Oct 2013, 7:31 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Remembered part of the thought)
Travis
Lurker
Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 23 Oct 2013, 7:27 pm

It will have a first contact at some point, but a more grounded setting could make the action more intense.

With this in mind, everything is liquid and subject to change. This IS a collab, after all.

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis on Wed 23 Oct 2013, 7:34 pm

I'm well aware, if it was already posted I wouldn't be posting critiques that can potentially change an entire idea. First contact scenarios are fun, but they're hard to morph realistically into them having crew join us in that case, imo. Perhaps close races allied with the humans, not exactly extremely strong compared to mankind but advanced enough to have a point to pop up?
Travis
Lurker
Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 23 Oct 2013, 7:38 pm

Though I never planned on having any species other than humans join the crew, it could be done with slightly more primitive, 'modern-day' level species. Appropriate amounts of racism must be applied, of course, but it is doable, if only barely so.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 23 Oct 2013, 11:02 pm

May I get a consensus on opinions involving minority species other than humans in the proposed thread?

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis on Wed 23 Oct 2013, 11:42 pm

You pretty much already know I'd want other races usable.
Travis
Lurker
Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 23 Oct 2013, 11:45 pm

Sorry for not being clear.

By this, I also mean to accumulate opinions on how they should be handled.

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis on Sun 27 Oct 2013, 4:16 pm

Well. Personally, I think your idea should be used as an idea source instead of using it completely. 
Your idea is definitely very much sound, but I can't help but feel something more than just 'alien empires' (At the start at least) is missing. Can't put my finger on it though...
Part of me also wants it to be a bit less serious than say, GC or most threads I've observed here. Would be nice to have a more relaxing RP around, wouldn't you agree?
Travis
Lurker
Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 27 Oct 2013, 6:52 pm

I always though GC very lax in terms of environment, actually. Threads lend themselves better to 'heavy' roleplay than chatboxes, as they allow one to be deliberate with their actions.

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis on Sun 27 Oct 2013, 8:03 pm

You know, that sounded very much like an insult over the thread. Clarify that a bit...
In the case that it is, take it elsewhere. This is about creating a new thread in order for everyone here to enjoy in the sci fi genre. They wanted a crew RP, so we're trying to find something that would appeal to everyone and still be very fun for everyone involved. I had suggested something with more relaxed tones, using a familiar point of reference for any of my own members who read this thread. I'm less in a mood for an ultra serious thread currently, a more relaxed feel would be a welcome thing while RPing instead of "Almost every choice you make can make or break your everything" as it can be where I'm joining FF from.
Travis
Lurker
Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 27 Oct 2013, 8:24 pm

Here's an idea courtesy of Sliprunner:

Basically, humans discovered space travel and got pretty powerful. Then they fractured and split up because of human-type shit. Now all that's left of them are remnants and the technology they left behind. The RP would take place on an exploration ship with a mixed crew of aliens. They are aware of the humans because they found a small group of them on their travels. The humans are a minority in the crew. The general goal of the thread is to recover lost human technology and shit, which is valuable as they were more advanced than the aliens are.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kazran on Sun 27 Oct 2013, 8:26 pm

Corporations could be the cause of the fracture.
Kazran
Forumer
Forumer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum