Free Forum
To access all the features provided by this forum, please log in or register an account.

Galactic Conquest Series: Empire/Character management

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Galactic Conquest Series: Empire/Character management

Post by Travis on Mon 23 Sep 2013, 2:05 pm

As was brought to my attention over the course of Entanglement by Red, there can be some rather serious chronological issues capable of occurring due to our RPing characters over the same time as an empire. The issue stems from the fact that while we are using our characters or even in battles, we still have the empire's research, construction, etc, advance while we are doing so. This leads to empires gaining hundreds of ships in 5 hours, or researching for example an entirely new FTL drive over the course of a day. While it isn't necessarily a truly major issue (Except in planetary assaults when the planet has shipyards), solving this would definitely be in the interest of the group in order for logical time flow. It keeps story holes of "1500 ships in one or two weeks" from popping up as it did for Red, and would perhaps help with people trying to have notable content to character posts instead of using it just to bump their count by getting past the rule we've already set up of 3 sentences minimum during non-interaction. 
As I had said, this is not a critical issue except in a few circumstances.

I'd like to see if anyone has an idea other than freeze empire control during character usage, which has problems of its own form.

Last edited by Travis Lear on Mon 23 Sep 2013, 10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Travis
Lurker
Lurker

Back to top Go down

Re: Galactic Conquest Series: Empire/Character management

Post by Bloodtrailkiller on Mon 23 Sep 2013, 2:43 pm

Perhaps you could list days/time periods of which the character is acting..?

Ie;
Building 270 ships in two days
Day 1
7:35PM Xoron Time
Bif walks to the store and buys four potatoes before returning to his wife to copulate.

Ofc, there would be more detail, but that's what I'm thinkin'
Bloodtrailkiller
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis on Mon 23 Sep 2013, 3:12 pm

That would require me to put together new mechanics for it. Could definitely get confusing with how we do construction as is. I'll start thinking on that for sure though. Anything else?
Travis
Lurker
Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 23 Sep 2013, 5:05 pm

I like the current system. It's not that big of a problem. Except during planet assault/wars.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 23 Sep 2013, 5:58 pm

Not only is there the 'research technologies in hours/days, construct giant fleet in a week' issue, there's also the fact that every thread is considered to be usually about two or three years.  I agree with the assessment that, despite how awesome it would be to research and prototype a death ray in the time it takes to eat breakfast, this has to change.

If I remember correctly,  more than a year ago this issue was brought up.  Some math was done and results indicated that every post should be, on average, four hours.  Ironically, characters have a surplus of deliberation while the governing bodies of interstellar empires are freakishly efficient.

One sort-of solution for this problem could be to greatly increase the post counts for empire control.  In addition to mitigating the extreme character-control time dilation, it could, in turn, decrease the incentive to post 'the fleet maneuvers' several hundred times.

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis on Mon 23 Sep 2013, 6:06 pm

Entanglement was about a year. Locking each post at a specific amount of time isn't exactly acceptable as a solution. Increasing posts would make it take longer when we aren't doing characters.
Travis
Lurker
Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 23 Sep 2013, 6:37 pm

I never suggested locking each post to a specific amount of time.

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis on Tue 24 Sep 2013, 1:12 pm

Doesn't matter, it was something that needed to be said due to being unviable, though a variant could work eventually. So far, it seems Vaetr's idea could work well as or better than what I myself had in mind. The mechanics wouldn't be too terribly difficult, we would have to institute our own version of a universal GMT though, and agreements would be necessary for its passage. I think that deciding how many IC hours counts as "one post" under what we do now could be simple. I'm going to be making a note on my phone to look into this indepth.
Travis
Lurker
Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 24 Sep 2013, 4:17 pm

I think a GC GST would be too complex for our roleplay, and other than during a battle in which magic bullshit reinforcements come into play because shipyards build throughout a battle, its not that big of a problem. 

My idea would be to freeze construction in places where it makes sense, such as attacking a shipyard world would freeze both sides' construction queues so that they cannot pull magic-bullshit reinforcements out of their ass. My problem with a GST would me be perceiving a required entire rework to our system to accommodate for Build Times, instead of Build Posts, which is why I am incredibly wary of it and want to have other ideas brought forth before.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 24 Sep 2013, 4:21 pm

I see no way to solve this. Vaetr's method seems overly complicated and a pain in the ass to keep track of. Making a set time for how many hours one posts count as introduces new problems, such as characters taking three hours to complete a sentence.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 24 Sep 2013, 4:32 pm

I agree with CoG completely. I say stay with the status quo.

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis on Tue 24 Sep 2013, 4:46 pm

Seems most are against the only idea that solved all issues potentially. I had more of a hybrid of current and vaetr's idea as a modification to it to keep it from becoming 'build time' because that in itself would be another thing to manage, and require it universally. Goal was only to get char and battles to not have a temporal hole in the universe, not a 100% rewrite of the build system. My own personal idea was to add sub counts while in battle or doing character control. That ISN'T hard to manage truly. Just requires me deciding how many subposts count as a post. This isn't a major increase of complexity, and is limited only to when we are doing things outside the empire front.
Travis
Lurker
Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top