Free Forum
To access all the features provided by this forum, please log in or register an account.

Blackwatch 1700

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Blackwatch 1700

Post by Sieg on Sun 09 Jun 2013, 4:55 pm

Misleading but interesting title. Blackwatch are a completely separate organisation to anything I'll be talking about in here.

Basically, I had a Dream. It was a strange dream.

I was dressed in something resembling a British Colonial Soldier's Uniform (I also appeared to be female, I could see breasts bulging out my coat when I looked down), but all in black with silver trimmings and buttons. A white belt was around my waist, adorned with pouches, and black knee-high boots covered my feet. I was handed a rifle, a strange one. Wooden stock, bolt action, somewhat resembling a Kar98k, but the internal magazine fed from the side, and I could see others with the same rifle, but a detachable magazine. Mine had a scope, and had a downturned bolt, while theirs was iron sights and a straight bolt, so I assumed it was a Sniper's Rifle. Our officer held no rifle, only a strange double-barreled revolver that could hold 12 or 14 shots in the cylinder. We were in the ruins of a city, brick and concrete strewn around us in the dirt. I can't remember the uniforms of the men we were fighting, but I remember vividly the bombardment of shells that came down around us while we moved through the city, a strange wheeled vehicle beside us. The Vehicle was flipped over by the first shell, crushing one of the riflemen ahead of me, and tossing myself and the officer back. The officer took a round as he stumbled, and I hit the dirt just as I got up, as gunfire erupted around me. My rifle was blown from my hands during the bombardment, so I crawled to the officer, picking up his revolver, and checking the cylinder with shaky hands. I turned and fired it just as one of the enemy soldiers was upon me, and I scrambled for his body to try and scavenge some ammunition. All I could find was his pistol, a red ceramic and porcelain thing like a chinese handcannon, straight, with a crossbow trigger, and a circular internal magazine that fed it rounds like a waterwheel. After that, I can't remember much, other than climbing onto the back of another of the strange vehicles, shakily recovering my rifle, and looking at one of the officers as I handed him the pistol I'd found.

I've thought about it for a while now. The entire scene was very dystopian. And while I was drawing parallels to Colonial Britain, there was tech they never had, like the side-feeding rifle, the double-barreled revolver, the people carrying vehicles. Perhaps it was a dystopian future where we never moved far past the culture of the 1700s. The enemy pistol I recovered, it looked like a Civilian's Collector's Piece, not a Military Weapon at all, and my side was scavenging weapons and clothing from our dead. Obviously, whatever war we were fighting had been going on for a long time, and had taken a heavy toll on all of us, but there seemed a third factor to it, because what I saw in battle couldn't have caused the amount of destruction that we were wading through. The sky was completely blackened. Artillery doesn't do that.

Everything felt rather... it was like a mix, between Steampunk and Dieselpunk. So, here's what I'm thinking. In an alternate world, very close to our own, there are two main factions.

Faction one will be the Enlisian Commonwealth, an imperial force similar to Colonial Britain. The army uses mainly their standard bolt action rifles, maxim guns and such, but certain Elite Troops will use brass armour, powered by Diesel Engines and armed with Steam Repeater Cannons to decimate the enemy. Vehicles are Diesel Powered for the most part, with some older Steam powered designs, mainly reserved for railed vehicles.

They fight faction two, Imperial Ruslen, an Empire with borders close to the borders of the Empire of Enlis, similar to the Russian Empire. They'll use their own brand of Bolt Action Rifle, Repeater and Revolver, but their Elite Troops will make use of heavy, ventilated steel armour and flamethrowers utilising a potent mix of tar, diesel and other substances, similar to napalm, with their vehicles all being steam powered, recycling the steam released to heat them. They'll also use exotic, oriental weapons, like the red china pistol I talked of.

For now that is all I have.
Sieg
Lurker
Lurker

Back to top Go down

Re: Blackwatch 1700

Post by Bloodtrailkiller on Sun 09 Jun 2013, 5:58 pm

Sounds very peculiar, my interest is intrigued.

Perhaps it will be based around a battle in a factory-city. The city would be massive and the two factions would be actively using the factories there to create munitions and such for the two factions.
Maybe there would be prototype tanks and such that use treads made of metal and wheels of brass and wood.
Bloodtrailkiller
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 09 Jun 2013, 11:29 pm

Your revolver would be too heavy to be a good handgun. I'd say put a stock and extend the barrels. Make it into a rifle revolver. The cylinder should have two concentric ammo rings that rotate independently. Place the barrels on top of each other, instead of side by side. Then it's a reasonable fairly reasonable weapon. Now with the rifle, I was initially thinking you'd cast the rounds out when you draw the bolt. But it has an internal magazine, so that's good.

Now to the lore and your overall idea. I love it, it's rather original if anything. It caught my interest. I like BTK's idea of the manufacturing city. I think we should do that. It gives the two factions something to fight over.

As for uniforms you could look over styles of victorian era military uniforms. And pre-WW1 uniforms too I guess. And fill the rest in with your own imagination. W40k did similar things with a few IG regiments. Like the Vostoryan Firstborn and Valhallan ice warriors. So why not employ a similar process in this case? I'm sure it'll come out fine.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sieg on Mon 10 Jun 2013, 11:10 am

The French beg to differ Halo. http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17m08pzvlnwl6jpg/original.jpg http://www.gunslot.com/files/gunslot/images/58594.jpg

That first image is the closest to the one I picked up in terms of Barrel and cylinder, though the cylinder was longer, it looked to me like .357 or .44 Magnum. The handle of the revolver was more similar to old Remmington 1858 Army Revolvers, as was the main body and 'underarm' of the revolver. It was a strange bastard of a thing.

I like BTK's idea of a Factory City. But I'd like to address the blackened sky. Would that be from all the smog pumped out by the factory? Because as I said, artillery doesn't do that. Or would there be a third factor?

As for uniform, I've searched around for what I was wearing in the Dream. http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/098/d/c/english_revolutionary_war_uniforms_by_tounushi-d4vebim.png
I was wearing something similar to what is on the right, but the black and red had switched places, and the coat was longer, reaching to my knees, and buttoned down to the waist. The boots were also black, reaching up to my knee, and the trousers were grey and baggy, tucked into the boots. The white pouched belt was also around my waist, and those of higher rank than me had a white sash from right shoulder to hip. Our officer also had a brass plate on his shoulder, with a golden chain attached to it wrapping around his arm.

I also found another nice picture of the coat from the above picture. This one is closer to what those of higher rank than me were wearing, though again, red and black swapped places on our uniform, and our coats were much longer. http://illiweb.com/fa/pbucket.gif

I cannot remember for the life of me what the enemy wore. But, since we're making them a parallel to the Russian Empire, I've scavenged up some pictures.
http://www.diggerhistory.info/images/thru-ages/ww1-4.jpg - Top row, second from left and second from right.
http://www.napolun.com/mirror/napoleonistyka.atspace.com/img/Russian_infantry_1812.jpg - yon bloke in the top right
http://www.napoleonskebitvy1813.cz/data/20121117_rupech2.jpg - yer man at the right in the long coat
And that's the best I can dig up for Ruslen.
Sieg
Lurker
Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sieg on Mon 10 Jun 2013, 11:44 am

With the help of Google Sketchup and a pilfered Kar98k model, I mocked up the Enlisian Rifle I was given.
http://imgur.com/a/GQkMA
Sieg
Lurker
Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Bloodtrailkiller on Mon 10 Jun 2013, 1:02 pm

Perhaps the blackened sky could be because of the smog and, possibly, gas artillery. Maybe a gas that starts of in 'x' color then slowly dissipates into a less-lethal black fog.
Bloodtrailkiller
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sieg on Mon 10 Jun 2013, 3:42 pm

Gas Artillery, damn, nice. Salt the Earth without the salt. Sounds to me like we're going for Xylyl Bromide, Chlorine, Phosgene, or even Mustard Gas. Chlorine or Mustard seems most likely to me, with the shells discharging low-density black smoke shells at the height of their arc to blacken the sky.

This also means we're likely going to have some very deadly weather conditions, like Mustard and Chlorine rain, and fogs of black smoke laced with the gases. Even the weather will be out to get us with Chemical Weapons in play. And the worst bit is, since we're going with 1700s culture, we've still got the 'glorious war' mentality. The Officers fully expect you to charge right into it with your bayonet, and they have to do it too with their pistols.
Sieg
Lurker
Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sigurd on Mon 17 Jun 2013, 1:40 pm

Sigurd
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sieg on Sat 22 Jun 2013, 3:26 pm

Scratch Sigurd's frankly amazing piece of literature, nothing new?
Sieg
Lurker
Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 22 Jun 2013, 3:55 pm

Alright so, since we got the infantry down for the most part, we need to go over the vehicles. Maybe some airships in the midst of it all? Biplanes? And there's the artillery both factions use too. And since this is like 1700's-WW1 esque stuff we should have tanks. Those big slow landships.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top